Student Advising Resources during COVID-19
Find FAQ and related info pages on our COVID-19 Response Page
IMPORTANT UPDATE – PLEASE READ – PAGE LAST UPDATED 7/07/2020
Due to the USC Provost Memo regarding COVID-19, all in-person advising appointments have moved to Phone or Video Conference advising appointments and we are still available to answer questions via email. In addition, students can utilize online resources such as their STARS report (on OASIS), their most recent course plan (the Undergraduate Advisement widget on myUSC), and our website. Your health and well being are important to us, and we are here to support you as we adapt to this unprecedented and continually-evolving situation. We appreciate your patience and flexibility.
- Viterbi General Inquiries for 24 hour response (M-F 8:30 am-5:00 pm)
- USC Updates: http://usc.edu/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 hotline (including questions for the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) team): 213-740-6291 or email@example.com
- Student Affairs Basic Needs Office: Resources for food, housing and financial insecurity. Visit seip.usc.edu/studentbasicneeds/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Viterbi Emergency Fund: Financial support for registered students at the Viterbi School of Engineering who face unforeseen expenses due the impact of COVID-19. Visit https://forms.gle/zMVHeJT3eFAC4su87
- COVID-19 FAQs for USC Viterbi Researchers: https://viterbischool.usc.edu/covid-19-faq-for-usc-viterbi-researchers/
- Undergraduate Advising: http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/advising/
- Master’s & PhD Advising: https://viterbigrad.usc.edu/
- Pre-Engineering Advising: http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/pre-engineering/
- Advisor Resources (Advisors only): https://undergrad.usc.edu/virtualadvising/
UNDERGRADUATE ADVISING INFORMATION
- Office of the Registrar Advising Forms: Students can submit paper registration forms through ask.usc.edu: The University Registrar has confirmed that undergraduate students who must register with paper forms (e.g. students with FLAN or GESM holds) should submit their forms through http://ask.usc.edu/. To submit, students should click on “Email Us” on the top left and fill in the contact form with their information. They should select “Registrar” as the intended area and “Registration” as the category. An option to “Attach Documents” is then provided at the end of the form.
- Virtual Drop-In Advising: Due to the security updates made to USC Zoom accounts, it is currently not possible to hold drop-in advising on the Zoom platform. Therefore, Academic Services is temporarily cancelling the advising drop-in hours regularly scheduled for 3-4 PM PST on Monday-Friday. However, advisors are still available, so please email your advisor with any questions or concerns or to schedule a time to meet via Zoom to discuss any advising issues. General inquiries can be sent to email@example.com.
- Mandatory Advisement: Undergraduate students are still required to complete their mandatory advising appointments online through Zoom Video and Audio Conferencing (https://keepteaching.usc.edu/start-learning/)
- Please refer to your department advisor on guidelines and instructions for scheduling online appointments.
FALL 2020 SEMESTER
- TROJANS RETURN FAQ: https://coronavirus.usc.edu/students/academics-frequently-asked-questions/
- PROJECT RESTART: https://coronavirus.usc.edu/project-restart/
- Workshops: Pre-Engineering workshops will resume in August 2020. Pre-Engineering workshops will be held online via Zoom.
- Admission Review: Students who have met the requirements to be reviewed at the end of the Fall 2020 semester will have their applications reviewed during the December 2020 Winter Recess.
- Computer Science: https://www.cs.usc.edu/students/academic-advisement/
- Electrical & Computer Engineering:https://minghsiehece.usc.edu/students/
- Industrial & Systems Engineering: https://ise.usc.edu/current-students/
- Chemical Engineering: https://chems.usc.edu/current-students/
- Biomedical Engineering: https://bme.usc.edu/student-resources/
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: https://cee.usc.edu/current-students/
- Astronautical Engineering: https://astronautics.usc.edu/academics/
- Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering: https://ame.usc.edu/current-students/
- Online drop-in advising hours: Monday 2-3pm, Tuesday & Wednesday 1-2pm, Thursday 2-3pm. Join the AME drop-in queue here: AME drop-in advising.
- Information Technology Program: https://itp.usc.edu/advisement/
- Viterbi Academic Resource Center: All tutoring services have been moved online. For more information, please see http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/varc-3/
- Online Drop-in Tutoring
- By Appointment Tutoring
INTERNET RESOURCES AND DISCOUNTS
- Spectrum: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/coronavirus-covid-19-educational-internet-offer
- Comcast: https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19
- Find additional offers in your area: https://www.everyoneon.org/find-offers
LIBRARY E-BOOK RESOURCES
- Students should first check the USC online catalog as their textbook may already be part of USC’s e-book collection.
- The USC Bookstore has arranged for up to 7 eBooks to be available for free through May 25 — more info at www.uscbookstore.com/textbooks and studentresponse.redshelf.com
REMOTELY CONNECT TO VITERBI COMPUTER LABS
- All Viterbi faculty and students can access Viterbi computer labs.
- Instructions to connect to a Viterbi computer lab remotely: https://viterbiit.usc.edu/services/computer-classroom-labs/
PROJECT RESTART – COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER LINKS