Student Advising Resources during COVID-19
IMPORTANT UPDATE – PLEASE READ – PAGE LAST UPDATED 4/23/2020
Due to the USC Provost Memo regarding COVID-19, all in-person advising appointments have moved to Phone or Video Conference advising appointments and we are still available to answer questions via email. In addition, students can utilize online resources such as their STARS report (on OASIS), their most recent course plan (the Undergraduate Advisement widget on myUSC), and our website. Your health and well being are important to us, and we are here to support you as we adapt to this unprecedented and continually-evolving situation. We appreciate your patience and flexibility.
- Viterbi General Inquiries for same-day response (M-F 8:30am-5:00pm)
- USC Updates: http://usc.edu/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 hotline (including questions for the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) team): 213-740-6291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Affairs Basic Needs Office: Resources for food, housing and financial insecurity. Visit seip.usc.edu/studentbasicneeds/ or email email@example.com
- Advisor Resources (Advisors only): https://undergrad.usc.edu/virtualadvising/
- General Education Policies: https://dornsife.usc.edu/2015ge/ge-policies-during-covid-19/
- Viterbi Graduate Students: Graduate FAQs
- Viterbi Undergraduate Students: Undergraduate FAQs
- Pre-Engineering: Policy Guidelines
- Undergraduate Advising: http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/advising/
- Master’s & PhD Advising: https://viterbigrad.usc.edu/
- Pre-Engineering Advising: http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/pre-engineering/
UNDERGRADUATE ADVISING INFORMATION
- Office of the Registrar Advising Forms: Students can submit paper registration forms through ask.usc.edu: The University Registrar has confirmed that undergraduate students who must register with paper forms (e.g. students with FLAN or GESM holds) should submit their forms through http://ask.usc.edu/. To submit, students should click on “Email Us” on the top left and fill in the contact form with their information. They should select “Registrar” as the intended area and “Registration” as the category. An option to “Attach Documents” is then provided at the end of the form.
- Virtual Drop-In Advising: Due to the security updates made to USC Zoom accounts this week, it is currently not possible to hold drop-in advising on the Zoom platform. Therefore, Academic Services is temporarily cancelling the advising drop-in hours regularly scheduled for 3-4 PM PST on Monday-Friday. However, advisors are still available, so please email your advisor with any questions or concerns or to schedule a time to meet via Zoom to discuss any advising issues. General inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mandatory Advisement: Undergraduate students are still required to complete their mandatory advising appointments online through Zoom Video and Audio Conferencing (https://keepteaching.usc.edu/start-learning/)
- Please refer to your department advisor on guidelines and instructions for scheduling online appointments.
- Fall Registration: Fall registration will proceed as usual. Department advisors will continue issuing D-Clearances for required courses.
- Workshops: All required pre-engineering workshops will be conducted online.
- Admission Review: Students who have met the requirements to be reviewed at the end of the Spring 2020 semester will still have their applications reviewed.
- Computer Science: https://www.cs.usc.edu/students/academic-advisement/
- Electrical & Computer Engineering:https://minghsiehece.usc.edu/students/
- Industrial & Systems Engineering: https://ise.usc.edu/current-students/
- Chemical Engineering: https://chems.usc.edu/current-students/
- Biomedical Engineering: https://bme.usc.edu/student-resources/
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: https://cee.usc.edu/current-students/
- Astronautical Engineering: https://astronautics.usc.edu/academics/
- Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering: https://ame.usc.edu/current-students/
- Online drop-in advising hours: Monday 2-3pm, Tuesday & Wednesday 1-2pm, Thursday 2-3pm. Join the AME drop-in queue here: AME drop-in advising.
- Information Technology Program: https://itp.usc.edu/advisement/
- Viterbi Academic Resource Center: All tutoring services have been moved online. For more information, please see http://viterbiundergrad.usc.edu/varc-3/
- Online Drop-in Tutoring
- By Appointment Tutoring
INTERNET RESOURCES AND DISCOUNTS
- Spectrum: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/coronavirus-covid-19-educational-internet-offer
- Comcast: https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19
- Find additional offers in your area: https://www.everyoneon.org/find-offers
LIBRARY E-BOOK RESOURCES
- Students should first check the USC online catalog as their textbook may already be part of USC’s e-book collection.
- The USC Bookstore has arranged for up to 7 eBooks to be available for free through May 25 — more info at www.uscbookstore.com/textbooks and studentresponse.redshelf.com